Date Obtained: 31st December 2014
How did I get this product: Bought online (Microsoft Store – $1646.10AUD student price on 24th Dec ‘14)
Reasons for purchasing this product:
- Size/form – I was drawn to the thin, lightweight design of the Surface Pro 3. The 12 inch screen strikes the right balance between portability and comfortable usability.
- Functionality – A tablet that runs a full OS, with reasonable memory and processing power.
*Note: I intentionally did not purchase the type cover. For now, I want to experience it as a tablet with the functionality of a PC, rather than a laptop replacement. Also, I feel it adds bulk and weight to a currently sleek device.
- University – I’ve always preferred writing to typing. The Surface Pro 3 allows me to write notes on pdf lecture slides and store it in an electronic format. I’m aiming to keep printed notes to a minimum this year.
- Travel – Taking photos is one of the highlights of my travels. I wanted a light and convenient device to back up my photos as well as the ability to do quick touch-ups on Photoshop before sharing them. The Surface Pro 3 is lighter than a laptop (I currently own a 13” MacBook) and has more functionality than a tablet.
I like: The Surface Pen is smooth and responsive. Erase and Select buttons on the pen make it very convenient to edit your work.
I dislike: Lack of quality apps in the Microsoft Store (not a flaw of the device – but certainly subtracts from the experience)
Bonus Points: A USB port is included in the charger, allowing the option to charge a USB device with the Surface Pro 3 charger.
Concerns: I’m acutely aware of how easy it will be to misplace the Surface Pen
- Incipio ORD Sleeve for Microsoft Surface Pro 3 – $45 JB Hi-Fi (31st Dec ’14)
- I chose a sleeve over a folio case as I didn’t want to block the air vents, nor did I want to add bulk/weight to this product.
- Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 – $118 Officeworks (31st Dec ’14)
- NVS Ultra Clear Screenguard 2 pack for Microsoft Surface Pro 3 – $24 JB Hi-Fi (2nd Jan ’15)
- The screen protector adds friction to the touch screen – but this becomes less of an issue with increased usage.
- Trend Micro Maximum Security (2 devices) 1yr – $38.95 Officeworks (2nd Jan ’15)
8 – Excellent! Highly Recommended
This post is dedicated to Annette.
Currently Contemplating: Sony Smartphone Attachable Lens QX100
Have a question or opinion? Leave me a comment below (: